This is our development blog! We have been maintaining this blog with updates for over 1000 days now, starting June 10th, 2013. Here you can read about the work that goes into making a game as complex as Brutal Nature:
2015 February 8th
Added new avatar: Deon
2015 February 7th
Added new avatar: Wilson.
2015 February 6th
Finished adding animation retargeting to model converter. Now I can import avatars with different body proportions.
Fixed bug where text could go a little too far to the right before line wrapping.
2015 February 5th
Started work on adding animation retargeting to the model importer.
2015 February 4th
Added mining levels to pickaxes, Now some materials need higher levels pickaxes to mine.
Added durability lost to pickaxes while mining.
Added mineral Corundum. Second hardest mineral known to man, it will require tool steel pickaxes to mine.
Moved Chromite to forest biome.
Reduced viewing range to 400 feet by default.
2015 February 3rd
Tons of play testing to tweak the new barter system. Rewrote some of the master servers network code as it has been crashing.
Lots of minor tweaks:
- Doubled max power for electrolysis cell.
- Doubled power for recipes that make hydrogen.
- Increased tool cost of MK108 by 100%
- Increased materials used by Rifle Receiver
- Increased price of Steel by 100%
- Increased price of Bronze by 50%
- Increased price of Platinum by 150%
- Increased price of Tool steel by 100%
- Increased price of Chrome-moly Steel by 100%
- Increased prices of metal shapes to be in line with the raw metals they are made from
- Reduced price of Hydrogen by 60%
- Reduced heat of Hydrogen to 1
- Increased prices of gun parts by 200%
- Reduced size of cast handle recipe by 50%
- Reduced size of forge handle recipe by 50%
2015 February 2nd
Added MRE's, also known as 'Meal, Ready-to-eat", changed starting inventory food to MRE's.
Added a second rock salt region with thicker deposits spawning deeper down.
Increased endurance from endurance potions by 2 fold.
2015 February 1st
Changed mining to give you an adjustable amount of material per voxel, default will be 1/64th.
Reduced mining speed by 50%. Massive overhaul to recipes to re-balance for these changes. Reduced wood harvested from trees by 100 fold.
Changed food to restore food stat over 1 second instead of several seconds.
2015 January 31st
End of another long month! This month we added barter, new shaders, new avatars, food spoilage, fixed a lot of bugs and rebalanced the NPC's and food.
Today, I rebalanced some of the prices and the vendor:
- Increased price of Mortar by 400%
- Increased price of Fire Brick by 400%
- Increased price of Refractory Mortar by 400%
- Increased price of Casting Sand by 400%
- Increased price of Glass by 100%
- Increased price of Leather by 60%
- Increased price of Sodium Hydroxide by 100%
- Increased price of Trinitrotoluene by 150%
- Increased price of Nitric Acid by 50%
- Increased price of Endurance Potion to 25
- Decreased Food usage of Endurance Potion by 60%
- Decreased price of Wood by 80%
- Decreased price of Boar Hide by 30%
- Added Glass and Silica Glass to vendor.
- Increased number of items vendor will have by 50%
2015 January 30th
Improved calcium carbonate description. Fixed bug where accessing the log file with an external program could cause the log file to stop updating.
Barter now cancels on logout.
Added condition text next to equipped weapon display.
Hotkeys now pick the highest condition weapon that you own first.
Added prices for Cases and Case dies.
2015 January 29th
Took screenshots for release. Posted news to IndieDB, Steam Greenlight, Desura, etc.
Fixed bug where first server in server list was not displaying its server description.
Fixed bug where ammo was not being paid for when sold to vendor.
2015 January 28th
Added another avatar to the game: Danny
Packed up and released a new version of Brutal Nature!
January 28th, 0.52 is now released:
- Fixed all known bugs
- Added two new avatars: Danny and Maria
- Added Barter Menu
- Added Script based vendor inventory system.
- Added Poison Gland, can be harvested from spiders.
- Added Endurance Potion made from mushrooms and poison glands.
- Added food spoilage. Meats now turn into spoiled meat with time and spoiled meat will slowly disappear from your inventory on its own. Mushrooms and berries also spoil. Cooked meats spoil slower then uncooked meats.
- Added new walking sound for NPCs.
- Added prices to items.
- Added durability display in armor/weapon info.
- Added per weapon and per armor durability settings.
- Added Cash to personal stats menu.
- Added NPC stand off distance. This is the distance NPCs will stand away from their target.
- Added NPC attack range setting for each NPC.
- Added a viewing angle limit for NPCs so they can't see behind them.
- Added settings in server.cfg to limit sidestep and backwards movement speed.
- Added weight to food.
- Added context text when cross-hairs are over camp fire lights.
- Added a hematite biome for medium size veins at medium depths.
- Increased deep hematite veins thickness.
- Increased HP of boars by 50%
- Re-recorded the first tutorial quests voice over with a new microphone.
- Removed clothing from the game as it didn't seem to be fulfilling much of a purpose right now.
- Reduced time to roast meat to 60 seconds.
- Reduced time to make mud bricks to 60 seconds.
- Reduced distance walking sounds can be heard by 50%
- Reduced backwards and sidestep movement speed.
- Reduced Boar speed by 30%
- Reduced food used by endurance regeneration by 60%.
- Reduced food recovered from food items by 50%
- Reduced meat from boars by 30%.
- Reduced aggro range of boars by 30%.
- Reduced size range for NPCs.
- Reduced size of grizzly bears slightly.
- Reduced Berry bush spawn by 80%.
- Reduced mushroom spawn by 50%.
- Reduced bauxite spawn at surface by 50%.
- Reduced lead spawn by 50%.
- Reduced pyrite veins thickness.
- Limited player spawn to Z levels below 150 to prevent spawning on sky structures.
- Fixed armor going to negative condition.
- Fixed Personal stats menu to display armor resistances taking into account current armor condition.
- Fixed gScript.AddPeriodicScript to use the period given.
- Fixed double click to only be triggered if the mouse had not moved much since last click.
- Fixed Avatar menu to closes after picking an avatar.
- Fixed bug in the NPC spawning routine that could cause the server to crash.
- Fixed Account menu to close when you connect to a server.
- Fixed Tree List to respond to double clicks correctly.
- Fixed bug where double clicking some categories could result in unexpected recipes being selected
2015 January 27th
Worked on adding another new avatar but it didn't turn out due to lack of proper animation retargeting.
2015 January 26th
Added a new avatar: Maria
2015 January 25th
Re-recorded the first tutorial quests voice over with a new microphone.
2015 January 24th
Added prices for armor. Fixed armor going to negative condition. Added durability display in armor/weapon info. Personal stats menu now displays armor resistances taking into account current armor condition.
Added per weapon and per armor durability settings.
Added Cash to personal stats menu.
2015 January 23rd
Added NPC stand off distance. This is the distance NPCs will stand away from their target.
Added NPC attack range setting for each NPC.
Avatar menu now closes after picking an avatar.
2015 January 22nd
Tracked down a server crash bug in the NPC spawning routine.
2015 January 21st
Fixed gScript.AddPeriodicScript to use the period given.