Nature is brutal, but can you survive the Brutal Nature of man?
Brutal Nature is a free to play, multiplayer 3d survival PC game where everything in the game can be crafted and destroyed. Life in Brutal Nature is about survival in the wilderness on an island by gathering resources for crafting, building structures, hunting and being hunted. For a list of currently supported features check out our information page.
The Landscape is a smooth voxel terrain that you can mine for resources, place to build free form structures, destroy with weapons and blow up with explosives! Build towers miles tall and mine far into the depths of the earth aided by a crafting system with over 700 recipes to make everything you need to survive and prosper.
Realism will be strived for but not allowed to stand in the way of fun. Game play will be tunable from highly realistic to arcade style fun by an easy to use modding system.
Inspired by Fallout, Terraria and Dwarf Fortress, We wish to bring you a game with complex depth and exciting combat in a modern age realistic world. We heavily support modding and have made the game exceptionally easy to mod. All vanilla content is essentially a mod that can be removed, edited or replaced.
Brutal Nature is free to play while in alpha but development is supported entirely by pre-orders, get your copy today for 50% release price!
Vote for us on Steam Greenlight! Your support means everything to us!
Daily development blog:
400+ days without a missed day.
2014 August 31st
End of another month! this month a new trailer was released, NPC movement and the netcode has been overhauled, added a new NPC and added NPC's underground.
A lot of balance tweaks have also been made, mainly involving the new smithing system.
Today, I did more work on converting the announce server to work with RakNet.
2014 August 30th
Fixed bug where weapon vs NPC collision was incorrect when the NPC was dead. Added new food: Fried mushrooms.
Started converting the announce server over to RakNet.
2014 August 29th
Made some high level ores much rarer, especially at the surface. More work tweaking and testing the net code. RakNet is proving very nice to work with.
2014 August 28th
Learned more about RakNet and redid the client network stats menu. Fixed some bugs that resulted from the conversion over to RakNet.
2014 August 27th
Client/Server now working over raknet. Fine tuning the usage and making sure I converted everything correctly.
2014 August 26th
Looked into converting the networking library to RakNet, as it is now free for use on PC and open source under a modified BSD license.
2014 August 25th
Took screenshots for release news and released a new version of Brutal Nature!
August 25th, 0.46 is now released:
- Fixed all known bugs
- Added new Spider NPC.
- Added new pickaxes: Chrome-moly steel and Tool Steel. Changed pickaxe, knife and sword recipes to use metal bars.
- Added history buffer for player packets so weapons fire could use the position of objects as it was when the weapon was fired with lag taken into account.
- Added interpolation between user updates.
- Added interpolation between NPC updates.
- Added lag compensation to NPC packets.
- Added option in cfg file for mouse cursor to restore to last known position or centered when you enter GUI mode.
- Added underground NPC spawning.
- Changed NPC's to follow the terrain better and will not climb up or walk through walls of 8 height or taller. They will also avoid very deep pits.
- Changed tool recipes start at 1.0 produced per recipe for copper instead of 0.5.
- Increased size of NPCs slightly.
- Improved NPC update code, merging multiple NPC updates in a single frame into one packet and updating NPC's based on the distance to user.
- Improved some material descriptions.
- Reduced amount of tools consumed when making other tools by about 60%
- Reduced silica glass requirement of graphite electrodes from 5 to 2.
- Fixed category setting of several items.
- Fixed bug where pressing F to open an interact menu with another menu open would cause the already open menu not to be unloaded correctly.
- Fixed bug where logging on after the server had been running for exactly 10 seconds might cause the user to not be able to see NPCs.
- Fixed Glove Liners to be under layer. Tracked down an exceptionally hard to reproduce bug.
- Fixed bug where calcium hydroxide recipe was at wrong chemistry table level preventing glass from being made.
- Fixed bug where material preview would show up in main help menu.
- Fixed bug where screen capture software was not recording the mouse cursor.
2014 August 24th
More work on the netcode, mainly testing and bug fixing.
2014 August 23rd
More work on the netcode. Added history buffer for player packets so weapons fire could use the position of objects as it was when the weapon was fired with lag taken into account.
2014 August 22nd
More work on the netcode. Added interpolation between user updates.
2014 August 21st
Still working on NPC lag compensation. Added interpolation between NPC updates and started work on adding NPC history for lag compensation.
2014 August 20th
More work on NPC lag compensation.
2014 August 19th
Added some lag compensation to NPC packets.
2014 August 18th
Added new Spider NPC. NPC's now spawn underground in the tunnels. Added interpolation when receiving a NPC update.
NPC's now follow the terrain better and will not climb up or walk through walls of 8 height or taller. They will also avoid very deep pits.
Did more research into netcode and lag compensation.
2014 August 17th
Optimised NPC update code, merging multiple NPC updates in a single frame into one packet and updating NPC's based on the distance to user.
Tested compression on NPC packets but found it to have little if any effect, so it was removed. Increased size of NPCs
2014 August 16th
More work on the NPC system. Fixed category setting of several items.
2014 August 15th
Made tool recipes start at 1.0 produced per recipe for copper instead of 0.5.
More work on the NPC system.
2014 August 14th
More work on the new NPC system.
2014 August 13th
Started work on adding NPCs to the underground tunnels.
2014 August 12th
Added option in cfg file for mouse cursor to restore to last known position or centered when you enter GUI mode.