Nature is brutal, but can you survive the Brutal Nature of man?
Brutal Nature is a free to play, multiplayer 3d survival PC game where everything in the game can be crafted and destroyed. Life in Brutal Nature is about survival in the wilderness on an island by gathering resources for crafting, building structures, hunting and being hunted. For a list of currently supported features check out our information page.
The Landscape is a smooth voxel terrain that you can mine for resources, place to build free form structures, destroy with weapons and blow up with explosives! Build towers miles tall and mine far into the depths of the earth aided by a crafting system with over 700 recipes to make everything you need to survive and prosper.
Realism will be strived for but not allowed to stand in the way of fun. Game play will be tunable from highly realistic to arcade style fun by an easy to use modding system.
Inspired by Fallout, Terraria and Dwarf Fortress, We wish to bring you a game with complex depth and exciting combat in a modern age realistic world. We heavily support modding and have made the game exceptionally easy to mod. All vanilla content is essentially a mod that can be removed, edited or replaced.
Brutal Nature is free to play while in alpha but development is supported entirely by pre-orders, get your copy today for 50% release price!
Vote for us on Steam Greenlight! Your support means everything to us!
Daily development blog:
400+ days without a missed day.
2014 July 27th
Changed how the tree menu deals with multiple collapsed categories.
Added Pyrolusite ore. Worked on improving descriptions of items in game.
2014 July 26th
Fixed bug when clicking category in inventory menu a recipe's info would appear.
Fixed bug that would sometimes cause you to get flung in a random direction at low FPS or when the game stutters.
2014 July 25th
Researched blacksmithing and tanning. More tweaking of recipes.
2014 July 24th
Did research on blacksmithing to see exactly what tools are made of what metals and how. More tweaking of recipes.
Changed recipe names to be in a more standardized format.
2014 July 23rd
Added scroll bar to 'Linked Text' GUI element. Changed advanced edit mode to respect grid. Lots of tweaking to the new recipes.
2014 July 22nd
Added Vanadinite, a bright red vanadium ore used for making Vanadium. Vanadium is an important metal for steel alloys.
2014 July 21st
Did lots of research into metal alloys.
Added Molybdenite and Chromite ores. Added refining recipes for Molybdenite and Chromite.
2014 July 20th
Enabled ENet CRC32 checks.
Making cases now uses up case dies, you can produce 100 cases from each case die. Case dies can now be produced from steel.
2014 July 19th
Fixed bug where when players rejoined, players in their party would not see them on radar. Fixed bug where packet loss value reported was incorrect. Fixed bug where in dynamic edit mode, sometimes not all chunks were properly updated.
Switched to hardware cursor to reduce mouse lag in the GUI. Added compression to some of the initialization data.
Reduced coal tar output of beehive oven to 20%. Reduced capacity of beehive ovens by 50%.
Changed netcode to make use of enet channels for lowered lag.
2014 July 18th
Grinding recipes now produce some sand as a byproduct. Added region density setting to server.cfg. Increased region density.
Fixed bug where when user is interacting with smelter and gets a request to trade, after accepting his window closes and trade fails.
2014 July 17th
More work on blacksmithing and gunsmithing.
2014 July 16th
Added support for #include in scripts. Added better error reporting for scripts. Split up some of the scripts into more files.
Worked on a new gunsmithing system.
2014 July 15th
Tons more research into chemistry. Removed elemental Sodium and Calcium and related recipes until they have better uses.
Made silica glass take 10x as much power and use Graphite Electrodes.
Reduced water and oleum used to turn oleum into sulfuric acid.
2014 July 14th
Dropping a campfire now shortcuts the craft a campfire tutorial quest segment.
Added Pyrite to iron oxide recipes at bonfire/beehive. Added pyrite to sulfur acid description. Changed Sperrylite so it can also be refined to raw platinum at the electric smelter.
Fixed bug where AddProduct was called by script with non existent item, user would get an item with no name.
Fixed recipes requiring required materials in addition to input materials when required materials where intended to count towards the input.
2014 July 13th
Tons more play testing.
Fixed bug when changing from sphere to square editing mode, sometimes square editing mode did not work properly. Reduced weight of ceramic armor by 30%.
2014 July 12th
Took screenshots and wrote release news articles. Did lots of play testing and fixed some material descriptions.
2014 July 11th
Finished up the new editing mode. Packed up and released a new version of Brutal Nature!
July 11th, 0.44 is now released:
- Fixed all known bugs
- Added new way to edit terrain: Create a cube then push/pull its faces, edges and vertices to edit on arbitrary angles.
- Added many chemistry recipes.
- Added high pressure chamber for making ammonia, and electrolytic cell for making sodium hydroxide, hydrogen, etc.
- Added basic, advanced and electric chemistry table. Split the chemistry recipes up into tiers for the different tables.
- Added terrain Chalcopyrite, a gold colored copper/iron sulfide ore.
- Added terrain Sperrylite, a black and gold colored platinum ore found in Chalcophrite. Platinum is a very important catalyst for many chemical reactions.
- Added terrain Pyrite: a gold colored iron sulfide ore, otherwise known as fools gold, it is vital to early production of sulfuric acid.
- Added terrain Sal Ammoniac. A light brown crystal that is a source of ammonium chloride.
- Added platinum refining recipes.
- Added culling to far off wires.
- Added crafting completion sound when doing inventory crafting.
- Added sediment on ocean floor to obscure ores that are found there.
- Added info when you select a fuel in the smelter menu.
- Added server refresh button.
- Added recipe power requirements to recipe info.
- Added line wrap to recipe descriptions.
- Added filter for server names.
- Added brick oven object.
- Added brick oven model.
- Added kiln for cooking bricks. Added kiln model.
- Added bloomery model for basic smelter.
- Added glass shader and some basic transparency support for models in BN's engine.
- Increased ammo recipe size by 500%.
- Increased max power consumption of electric smelter to 20KW.
- Increased power consumption of most electric smelter recipes by 500%.
- Changed the brightness and contrast of Saltpeter to make it stand out more.
- Changed camp fire light use fuel to run.
- Changed MK108 firing sound to be much louder.
- Changed sizes and position of elements in smelter menu slightly.
- Changed 20KW generator to 50KW generator.
- Changed sunlight to fade out to 0 at 300 feet below sea level.
- Fixed bug where turning off wiring mode while placing a wire results in you being in wire placement mode when you enable it again.
- Fixed bug where when placing a wire that joints another wire, it left you in the mode to place more segments even though you can't connect 3 wires together without a junction box.
- Fixed being attacked by NPCs while game is still loading.
- Fixed falling into the void when traveling into unloaded areas of the map.
- Fixed minor bug with scroll bar on tree list menu.
- Fixed recipes with long names overflowing the recipe menu for the smelter.
- Fixed text scrolling off the side of window when you are typing a long chat message.
- Fixed 'limit recipe quantity if smelter can't handle the power' function to prevent reducing integral recipes to fractions, hence consuming materials but not producing outputs.
- Fixed bug where required items in a recipe where not being properly held by the smelter.
- Fixed sorting order of building crafting categories to be sorted by tech level of building instead of alphabetically.
- Fixed server tray icon not disappearing when server shuts down due to error.
- Fixed bug where objects and players did not always respond properly to lighting.
- Fixed bug where quest voice volume setting was not working without restarting the game.
- Fixed bug that caused small patches of Cerussite ore to appear in the tunnels.
- Fixed bug where the scroll bar was not tracking the keyboard selection properly in the tree list menu.
- Fixed bug where MK108 could not be crafted because electric forge was limited to 5KW.
- Fixed bug where belt fed weapons with no ammo remaining would crash the client.
- Fixed bug with electric smelters not drawing the correct amount of power.
2014 July 10th
More work on the new way to edit terrain. First voxel edited by it today.
2014 July 9th
Added crafting completion sound when doing inventory crafting. Started work on a very flexible way to edit terrain.
2014 July 8th
Placed sediment on ocean floor to obscure ores that are found there. Added info when you select a fuel in the smelter menu.
Made camp fire light use fuel to run.