This is our development blog! We have been maintaining this blog with updates for over 1000 days now, starting June 10th, 2013. Here you can read about the work that goes into making a game as complex as Brutal Nature:
2015 January 1st
More work on overall game design.
2014 December 31st
End of another great month and year!
This month the avatars where added, the account registration system has been worked on, a subtitle system for the quest voices has been added and many bugs have been fixed.
This year we went from version 0.34 to version 0.50, 15 releases, one every 3.5 weeks on average.
Much as been added this year:
- Animated NPC's
- Animated avatars
- Much better terrain textures
- Single player mode
- Lots of new materials and alloys
- New ways to edit the terrain
- Melee weapons
- Mining tools
- Trade menu
- Transparent water
- Voiced tutorial
- Tunnels and caves
Just to list a few things. Many balance related changes have occurred as well through play testing and player feedback.
Today, I finished work on subtitling the tutorial quests.
2014 December 30th
Wrote subtitles for some of the tutorial quests.
Did more design work on Brutal Nature.
2014 December 29th
Added subtitle system to quests.
2014 December 28th
Changed website background. Increased max condition of weapons in treasure chests from 40% to 60%. Fixed another bug that could spawn empty treasure chests. Added better handling of users attempting to open empty treasure chests.
Fixed Projectile vs player collision to take into account animation.
2014 December 27th
Did play testing today.
Fixed duplicate Ash from wood recipe in bonfire. Fixed bug where player could be seen at the location he died for a single frame when he respawned.
2014 December 26th
Added paste form clipboard support to console/chat window. Cleaned up a lot of code.
2014 December 25th
Added option to display ping next to FPS.
Fixed bug where interact with players was not taking into account animation. Fixed bug where unequipped armors still gave you armor bonuses.
2014 December 24th
Fixed the Contact Us form on the webpage, apparently it was broken for awhile. Sorry for not replying to any comments you may have sent.
Added paste option to all edit boxes by pressing ctrl+v. Added ability for certain avatars to be restricted to pre-order only accounts.
Fixed bug in instanced object shader not taking into account world shadow. Optimised client side collision function slightly.
2014 December 23rd
More work on the registration system.
2014 December 22nd
Finished up the account menu. You can now see your total play time across all online servers. Accounts can now be registered to a key and the status of accounts (paid/free) is passed to the server
E-mail addresses can also be registered to an account for password recovery when that feature is added. Note that registering an e-mail account is optional and will only be used for password recovery.
2014 December 21st
More work on account info menu. Started work on an admin system for the announce server.
2014 December 20th
Fixed a bug caused by optimizations in the last version, bug sometimes would cause random severe slow downs while the world is loading. Fixed bug in edit box not allowing '-' after the 1st character.
Optimized world loading slightly.
2014 December 19th
Started work on a new account info menu.
2014 December 18th
Added Mouse wheel filter option to config file.
Made Smithsonite and Cerussite ores much rarer.
2014 December 17th
Wrote a new shader for the NPC's. Now they are lit much better.
Fixed some more bugs in the FBX model export code.
2014 December 16th
Published news of the new releases on Steam Greenlight, IndieDB and Desura.
2014 December 15th
Packed up a new version of Brutal Nature and released it! Also took new screenshots for the media page.
December 15th, 0.50 is now released:
- Fixed all known bugs
- Added two avatars.
- Added avatar Selection menu.
- Added run, idle and jumping animations for players.
- Added a new scripting function (gMaterials.RecipeMakes) to check if a recipe makes a certain item.
- Added new shader for displaying models in the GUI.
- Optimized the vertex upload of terrain data, game play should be much smoother as the map loads now.
- Changed flashlight effect to not illuminate so much around the player when in use.
- Changed script function that add weapons to support weapons with different conditions.
- Changed Weapons spawned in crates to have lower condition to promote making your own weapons.
- Changed Cassiterite to be darker so it would stand out more.
- Changed model loader slightly to make reusing of animations easier.
- Improved world download speeds.
- Removed shortcut in basic tools quest that checked if you had a hammer since you can now get hammers from chests instead of crafting them.
- Reduced health damage from eating uncooked boar meat and mushrooms.
- Fixed NPC's, wiring, etc from being visible past terrain viewing range as the world downloads.
- Fixed explosive weapons to use correct bounding box for animated NPC's and avatars.
- Fixed bug in recipes using bronze shapes.
- Fixed bug in recipes using 'Wood Ash'
- Fixed bug where treasure chests with nothing in them could spawn.
- Fixed bug relating to mouse not updating its center position if the user moved the window.
- Fixed bug where NPC's could appear backwards at times.
- Fixed bugs in the FBX animation export code.
2014 December 14th
Added jumping animation. Did some more play testing and started packing up another version for release.