This is our development blog! We have been maintaining this blog with updates for over 1000 days now, starting June 10th, 2013. Here you can read about the work that goes into making a game as complex as Brutal Nature:
2015 September 10th
Released a new version of Brutal Nature!
Also submitted my games first ever advertisement to Reddit. Hi Reddit users! I hope you enjoy my game!
2015 September 10th, Brutal Nature 0.58 is now released:
- Fixed all known bugs
- Added description to all Cases and Case Dies.
- Added chunk cache system.
- Added 'take all' button to amount dialog menus.
- Added distance limit to cube editing mode.
- Added larger fonts to better support 4k resolution.
- Added helpful error message when trying to place material with none selected.
- Added shift click edit mode for cube mode.
- Added GetConfigInt/Bool/Float to gScript so scripts can now read the server.cfg file.
- Added translation system. You now should be able to install/remove mods, items, etc without corrupting saves.
- Changed voxels to be 2x size of previous versions.
- Changed voxel preview box to be slightly bigger so it does not flicker when on top of cube mode.
- Changed how voxels are meshed to help prevent some voxels turning into a super thin line that is near impossible to see.
- Changed Handles to be easier to cast in bulk and require 20% as much heat to cast and forge.
- Changed movement code. Climbing stairs now works much better.
- Changed voxel branch processing to spread out over multiple frames. Branch processing is abandoned after CPU time exceeds 10mS for the frame and continued on the next frame.
- Changed Money to be an item, so it can be dropped, put into chests and traded between players.
- Optimized chunk loading.
- Optimized chunk upload to the video card.
- Improved the descriptions for some items.
- Increased Material recovered per voxel by 100%
- Increased Endurance to mine voxels by 100%
- Increased amount of dirt and sand to make mud bricks.
- Increased frequency of Hematite deposites.
- Crafting recipes you can make any of now show up as orange.
- Reduced Wood Planks and Stone Brick terrain materials to mining level 2
- Sperrylite and Chalcopyrite moved to forest biome. Pyrite moved to beach biome.
- Fixed C and Shift+C to work for cubes.
- Fixed bug where some terrain vertices where not being used for collision.
- Fixed cubes not casting shadows.
- Fixed lighting to work again after voxel rescale.
- Fixed underground NPC spawning to work with the new voxel world.
- Fixed bugs relating to mining with the new voxel world.
- Fixed buttons being 16 pixels too wide on the right side.
- Fixed bug where a low viewing distance could cause all objects to not render.
- Fixed bug when replacing a larger cube with a smaller one.
- Fixed bug where hInstance was not being passed to window code.
- Fixed button hit zone.
- Fixed containers holding small quantities that appeared as 0.
- Fixed bug relating to quest audio being removed from audio validation list by quest end when it should have just been callbacks being cleared.
- Fixed bug when editing cubes on render chunk boarders.
- Fixed tutorial weapon select stage to respond to number hotkeys as well as mouse wheel.
2015 September 9th
Finished up getting the game ready for another release.
2015 September 8th
Did play testing to look for bugs.
Fixed minor bug with editing new voxel grid and endurance.
2015 September 7th
Moved chunk cache compression to game exit for faster world load.
2015 September 6th
Researching what survival aspects makes some of the other survival games compelling.
Fixed bug where hInstance was not being passed to window code.
2015 September 5th
Voxel branch processing now spread out over multiple frames and overall the game is a lot smoother. Branch processing is abandoned after CPU time exceeds 10mS for the frame and continued on the next frame.
2015 September 4th
Found the voxel branch packet processing to be taking too long and causing frame stutters. Spread the processing out over multiple frames to help fix it.
2015 September 3rd
Still not as smooth as I would like it. Spent today profiling the game to figure out why.
2015 September 2nd
Optimized chunk loading more.
2015 September 1st
Optimized chunk upload to the video card some more in light of the new chunk cache system placing heavier demands on that code.
2015 August 31st
End of another great month!
This month, Brutal Nature is now on Patreon! Pledge your support today as every dollar helps! The voxel size was increased by 100% resulting in huge performance gains. A new chunk cache system was added to help greatly reduce bandwidth servers need. Improved movement code to make walking up stairs easier and removed a movement bug that could result in very high jumps. Also a new translation system was added so that saves can be loaded after mods have changed, this should also allow saves to be loaded in future versions of Brutal Nature.
Today, I optimised game loading time as it was taking a little too long after the new chunk cache system was added.
2015 August 30th
Reduced Wood Planks and Stone Brick terrain materials to mining level 2
Fixed C and Shift+C to work for cubes.
2015 August 29th
Lost power today due to windstorm so I am running on generator. Amazingly internet still working.
Finished up the chunk cache system.
2015 August 28th
Yep still working on the chunk cache system.
So some of you are likely asking, what is a chunk cache? Well, Every chunk you download will now be compressed and saved on the client side. This is so when you reconnect to the same server you won't need to redownload the map.
The trick to making such a system work is having the server know exactly what the client has cached so it does not need to resend chunks it has already sent, but will still resend chunks that have changed.
The end result is servers will need a lot less bandwidth to handle users.
2015 August 27th
More work on the chunk cache system.
2015 August 26th
Chunk cache system roughed in. Still working on it however.
2015 August 25th
More work on the chunk cache system.
2015 August 24th
Still working on the new chunk cache system.
2015 August 23rd
Started work on a new chunk cache system to reduce network bandwidth usage.