This is our development blog! We have been maintaining this blog with updates for over 1000 days now, starting June 10th, 2013. Here you can read about the work that goes into making a game as complex as Brutal Nature:
2015 November 8th
Second test of merged animations. Running and pistol idle. It sort of worked but it needs a lot of tweaking.
2015 November 7th
First test of merged animations. By combing the legs of running animation and the upper body of swimming animation, I have created: Insane person animation. Won't be used in game but was an interesting test.
2015 November 6th
More work on merging multiple animations.
2015 November 5th
Fixed spider model.
Slowed spider walk/run animation down considerably.
2015 November 4th
Did a full system backup.
Converted Brutal Nature to compile under MSVC2015. Must say I am really enjoying the new IDE.
2015 November 3rd
Smsher now exports animations in local instead of global bone space. It also exports bones in a new sorted order.
2015 November 2nd
More work changing how smsher exports models.
2015 November 1st
Started work on changing how smsher exports models.
2015 October 31st
End of another great month! this month we had a new release with water physics, swimming and some gameplay changes.
Today, I did more work on updating the game engine to support animation blending.
2015 October 30th
Started work changing smsher to export bones in local space.
2015 October 29th
Researched how to mix animations for better first person animations.
2015 October 28th
Researched improving the games GUI.
2015 October 27th
More work on adding first person animations.
2015 October 26th
Started work on adding first person animations.
2015 October 25th
Packed up and released a new version of Brutal Nature!
2015 October 25th, Brutal Nature 0.59 is now released:
- Fixed all known bugs
- Added water physics. Water now flows down hill until a certain slope angle is reached. This allows for water flow without all the rivers draining out.
- Added swimming physics.
- Added swimming animations.
- Added new player stat: Air. Air decreases when under water and recovers when above water. When air reaches 0 you will take health damage and drown.
- Added more mouse over and click effects to buttons.
- Added text under cross-hair pop up for actions and low health/endurance/etc warnings and cfg option to show it in the HUD instead.
- Added a branch cache to set/get voxel. This allows the octtree look up to be skipped when a voxel is within the same branch as last accessed.
- Added random delay between songs. Delay is configurable in 'Brutal Nature.cfg'.
- Added walking and swimming in water sound effects.
- Added new underwater visual effect.
- Added quest objectives display at top right corner of screen.
- Changed quantity produced harvesting berries and mushroom to now depend partially on your endurance level at the time you harvest them. This simulates care taken while picking vs hurried picking.
- Changed the 'Material' display when picking a material in edit mode to only display 1 decimal point.
- Changed harvesting trees/bushes/rocks/etc to always causes endurance lost, even if it fails due to too low of endurance. This means just mass clicking on things will result in loss of endurance but no item. You now must time your clicks for when you have enough endurance.
- Increased default viewing range.
- Increased projectile drag when shooting through water.
- Increased price of wood boards by 200%
- Increased NPC count by 200%
- Increased underground NPC's by 50%
- Increased most plants in world by 400% to reflect the new larger world size.
- Removed quest reminder messages.
- Fixed sphere mode using the wrong amount of materials.
- Fixed bug where right clicks would activating game features while in the GUI menu.
- Fixed bug in last stage of tutorial quest where wrong audio file was played.
- Fixed shutting down the game taking a long time due to deallocating the many chunk cache objects.
- Fixed 32bit client to execute 32bit server when single player mode is selected.
- Fixed problem with shadows having holes when terrain exceeded 500 feet.
- Fixed rendering lag by fixing the server voxel packet throttling code that was broken by the new client side voxel packet cache.
- Fixed voxel editing bug where sometimes the brush did not remove all the voxels it should have.
- Fixed NPC's seeing through cube mode walls and being able to attack through them.
- Fixed collision bug where bullets hitting water would not be rechecked for collision with terrain till next frame.
2015 October 24th
Fixed typo in some weapon categories.
Fixed ocean sound location.
Increased frequency of grass texture changes.
2015 October 23rd
Fixed sphere mode using the wrong amount of materials.
2015 October 22nd
Fixed chunk update lag caused by flowing water.
2015 October 21st
Started work on fixing chunk update lag caused by flowing water.