This is our development blog! We have been maintaining this blog with updates for over 1000 days now, starting June 10th, 2013. Here you can read about the work that goes into making a game as complex as Brutal Nature:
2014 September 7th
Re-recorded a lot of the tutorial and did more work updating it for the changes that have been made in the game since it was written.
2014 September 6th
Shortened tutorial intro and swapped some stages around.
2014 September 5th
Added RakNet encryption to all networking connections. This should make the game harder to hack.
2014 September 4th
Finished cleaning up the protocol for client/server connections. Looking into adding encryption and NAT punch through.
2014 September 3rd
Cleaning up some of the clients net code now that I am free to make some changes to the underlying protocol without it effecting existing clients/servers.
2014 September 2nd
More work on converting the announce server to RakNet. Announce server now works well and server/client are connecting fine.
2014 September 1st
More work on converting the announce server to RakNet. Mostly done just hunting down any unexpected behavior.
2014 August 31st
End of another month! this month a new trailer was released, NPC movement and the netcode has been overhauled, added a new NPC and added NPC's underground.
A lot of balance tweaks have also been made, mainly involving the new smithing system.
Today, I did more work on converting the announce server to work with RakNet.
2014 August 30th
Fixed bug where weapon vs NPC collision was incorrect when the NPC was dead. Added new food: Fried mushrooms.
Started converting the announce server over to RakNet.
2014 August 29th
Made some high level ores much rarer, especially at the surface. More work tweaking and testing the net code. RakNet is proving very nice to work with.
2014 August 28th
Learned more about RakNet and redid the client network stats menu. Fixed some bugs that resulted from the conversion over to RakNet.
2014 August 27th
Client/Server now working over raknet. Fine tuning the usage and making sure I converted everything correctly.
2014 August 26th
Looked into converting the networking library to RakNet, as it is now free for use on PC and open source under a modified BSD license.
2014 August 25th
Took screenshots for release news and released a new version of Brutal Nature!
August 25th, 0.46 is now released:
- Fixed all known bugs
- Added new Spider NPC.
- Added new pickaxes: Chrome-moly steel and Tool Steel. Changed pickaxe, knife and sword recipes to use metal bars.
- Added history buffer for player packets so weapons fire could use the position of objects as it was when the weapon was fired with lag taken into account.
- Added interpolation between user updates.
- Added interpolation between NPC updates.
- Added lag compensation to NPC packets.
- Added option in cfg file for mouse cursor to restore to last known position or centered when you enter GUI mode.
- Added underground NPC spawning.
- Changed NPC's to follow the terrain better and will not climb up or walk through walls of 8 height or taller. They will also avoid very deep pits.
- Changed tool recipes start at 1.0 produced per recipe for copper instead of 0.5.
- Increased size of NPCs slightly.
- Improved NPC update code, merging multiple NPC updates in a single frame into one packet and updating NPC's based on the distance to user.
- Improved some material descriptions.
- Reduced amount of tools consumed when making other tools by about 60%
- Reduced silica glass requirement of graphite electrodes from 5 to 2.
- Fixed category setting of several items.
- Fixed bug where pressing F to open an interact menu with another menu open would cause the already open menu not to be unloaded correctly.
- Fixed bug where logging on after the server had been running for exactly 10 seconds might cause the user to not be able to see NPCs.
- Fixed Glove Liners to be under layer. Tracked down an exceptionally hard to reproduce bug.
- Fixed bug where calcium hydroxide recipe was at wrong chemistry table level preventing glass from being made.
- Fixed bug where material preview would show up in main help menu.
- Fixed bug where screen capture software was not recording the mouse cursor.
2014 August 24th
More work on the netcode, mainly testing and bug fixing.
2014 August 23rd
More work on the netcode. Added history buffer for player packets so weapons fire could use the position of objects as it was when the weapon was fired with lag taken into account.
2014 August 22nd
More work on the netcode. Added interpolation between user updates.
2014 August 21st
Still working on NPC lag compensation. Added interpolation between NPC updates and started work on adding NPC history for lag compensation.
2014 August 20th
More work on NPC lag compensation.