Currently, you can download a free to play open beta of Brutal Nature with single player and multiplayer support. New versions are released every 2 to 5 weeks with new features and content so check back often. For currently supported features check out our information page!
Pre-order Brutal Nature today for only $20! Help support indie developers!
The developer is working full time on this game. pre-orders will be used to buy art assets and fund development.
- Video: DirectX 10 capable video card with 512MB Video RAM
- Operating System Supported: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
- RAM: 2GB or greater
- 1GB disk space
Current Version: 0.64
2016 October 21st, Brutal Nature 0.64 is now released:
- Fixed all known bugs
- Added Metallic maps for existing weapons several weapons: Axe, Pickaxe, Knife, Sword, Colt python
- Added Weapon model: Beretta PX4: 9mm Pistol.
- Added Weapon Model: Beretta CX4 Storm: 9mm Carbine.
- Added Weapon Model: S&W Stealth hunter: .44 Cal Revolver.
- Added Weapon Model: Mossberg 590A1: Pump action shotgun.
- Added Weapon Model: Beretta DT11: Double Barrel shotgun.
- Added Weapon Model: MP5: 9mm SMG.
- Added Weapon Model: HK UMP: 9mm SMG.
- Added Weapon Model: M16: Assult Rifle.
- Added Weapon Model: Sako 85: Sniper Rifle.
- Added a safety timer so NPC's won't attack you just after login or respawn.
- Added per-model barrel tip offsets for muzzle effects.
- Added Emissive, Ambient Occlusion and combined roughness/metallic texture support to smsher.
- Added NPC: Black Panther
- Added NPC: Red fox
- Added Doors you can open and close.
- Added per-mesh setting support to the model files.
- Added per-mesh collision setting.
- Added Fresnel effect: The effect of when an object is viewed at an angle its specular reflectivity increases.
- Added Metalness texture support: Objects can now use a metalness texture as part of the new PBR shader to describe reflective metal surfaces.
- Added Roughness texture support: Controls size and brightness of specular highlights as well as how clear reflections are in metals.
- Added Environment mapping: Reflections of the world now appear on some shiny surfaces like the metal parts of a gun. the reflections are lurred by roughness of the material.
- Added Irradiance mapping: Calculating the ambient light contributed from the environment map for every possible angle and using it instead of a flat ambient light.
- Added support for submeshes of a model to be animated by script on client and server side.
- Added World objects collision with the player and collisions respond properly with submesh animations.
- Increased fuel capacity of campfire by 100% and reduced fuel used by campfire light recipe by 20% so it can support the longest burn times.
- Improved shader compilation speed and moved pixel shader compilation from load time to run time. Now only the shaders actually used get compiled and are multithreaded when compiled for faster compilation speed.
- Changed Light falloff: Light attenuation over distance has been changed to a new more physically accurate model to provide a much softer and more accurate fall off.
- Changed fuel efficiency readout of generators to make more sense.
- Removed all guns that did not have a model
- Renamed Metalness texture to Metallic in smsher.
- Fixed bug where you could get more energy from burning hydrogen then it took to separate it.
- Fixed normal mapping direction.
- Fixed underwater effect image sometimes disappearing.
- Fixed minor bug with terrain textures at boarders between terrain types.
- Fixed bug with multisampling when objects where in front of water, some pixels where not rendering correctly due to depth testing not reading the correct sample.
- Fixed loading of cube maps. They where not being properly loaded as cube map textures. this will help improve the waters reflection and the new environment and irradiance mapping.
- Fixed bug where ray collision with animated models was not working correctly because the vertex format was changed when I added normal mapping.
- Fixed bug that would cause the user to hop into the air at random sometimes.
2016 August 25th, Brutal Nature 0.63 is now released:
- Fixed all known bugs
- Added Grapple Pistol/Hooks to vendor.
- Added version numbers to log file.
- Increased fall damage slightly.
- Changed Client/Server packet header to be 1 byte instead of 4
- Reduce endurance needed to harvest plant fiber by 50%
- Reduce Sprint speed by 20%
- Tweaked window boarder style.
- Tweaked NPC spawn distribution.
- Fixed stuck crafting progress.
- Fixed sliding down gentle slopes.
- Fixed NPC's not attacking back sometimes when attacked.
- Fixed long 'Downloading Data' stage during login.
- Fixed lag when first joining a server.
2016 August 9th, Brutal Nature 0.62 is now released:
- Fixed all known bugs
- Added 7 new weapon models.
- Added Batteries to store electrical energy in.
- Added Switches to turn electricity on/off to parts of the electrical grid.
- Added 2 new human models for the vendors to use. There are 2 types of vendors for the moment and they sell totally different items.
- Added a persistent 'Server disconnected' notice in the middle of the screen when you get disconnected.
- Added script command to open the vendor GUI on the client.
- Added script callback for NPC's when interacted with
- Added Human NPC vendors who roam the island selling different things via script.
- Added Human NPC's.
- Added generic traits for weapons. Each trait has a name, level and power.
- Added ability to specify the trait required to harvest an object. You can also specify what level is required to harvest an object so that some objects can not be harvested by hand anymore.
- Added Axes with "Chopping" trait for bonuses when cutting down trees.
- Added NPC's attack animations and attack delay has been changed to depend on the animation played.
- Added ability for NPC's to interact with each other based on faction. Some NPC's will attack others on sight, while only attacking others if they are hungry. some NPC's run away from other NPC's.
- Electrical system Rewrite. Generators can now be wired to each other on the electrical grid and will share loads. Loads can also be wired to each other directly without the use of junction boxes.
- Made axes required to cut down the largest trees.
- Improved keyboard layout
- Left/Right mouse button now are swapped correctly when that option is enabled in windows.
- Particle effects now use the main shader instead of their own unique shader.
- NPC's can now eat world objects when hungry. NPC's only eat the objects they are assigned as edible in the faction that NPC belongs to.
- Optimized CPU usage of NPC behavior.
- Tweaked inventory crafting screen to look a little better.
- Improved mod script save/load functionality to handle mods being added/removed without corrupting the save game.
- Increased amount of food from berry bush by 200%
- Fixed color of Radar blips.
- Fixed Normal maps appearing on weapons that did not have them.
- Fixed Particle effect lighting. Now particles can be lit or unlit based on script settings.
- Fixed Wires to be properly lit by lighting effects.
- Fixed bug where dropping your currently equipped weapon did not cause it to disappear from your hands.
- Fixed some light sources not producing light when you logged in while they where on.
- Fixed bug where -0 was causing ray trace function to produce incorrect results and take much longer then it should.
- Fixed Gamma of screen clear color so it properly matches the skybox again.
- Fixed bug where NPC animations where playing at 2x speed.
2016 June 3rd, Brutal Nature 0.61 is now released:
- Fixed all known bugs
- Added normal mapping to all terrain textures
- Added normal mapping to all avatars
- Added normal mapping to most NPC's
- Added normal mapping to most objects
- Limited ram consumption under X64 to available physical ram
- Fixed Grapple sticking to center of cubes.
- Fixed server timeout on single player avatar select screen.
- Fixed shooting at terrain with cubes behind the terrain.
- Fixed spawning inside cube wall
- Fixed getting stuck in cube wall by building cube wall
- Fixed disabling GUI with menu open not hiding mouse.
- Fixed quest callbacks still being called after skipping quest.
2016 February 21st, Brutal Nature 0.60 is now released:
- Fixed all known bugs
- Added 1st person animations for one handed melee weapons and pistols.
- Added sword, pickaxe, knife and pistol weapon models.
- Added new flags to smsher import.
- Added muzzle flash
- Added new health bar graphics.
- Added ability to add custom data to models via smsher scripts.
- Added engine feature to mix multiple animations on the same character.
- Added user edited map by Globalny-Chaos as default map.
- Improved smsher and model rendering code.
- Changed GUI textures to a black and gold flat theme.
- Changes to model format: Models now inverted on the X instead of Z.
- Changed compiler from MSVC2010 to MSVC2015
- Reduced server map generation time by 95% (2000% faster)
- Reduced spider walk/run animation speed considerably.
- Fixed spider model animations.
- Fixed cached chunks causing world corruption by increasing the hash to 64bits.
- Fixed scale and offset to no longer apply twice to non animated models on import.
- Fixed tunnel generation failures caused by not taking into account region distortion noise when picking starting chunk to generate tunnel.